We're back at it again! Our next print issue comes out in winter 2017, and the team at TSLR have been happily reading incoming submissions.
The deadline to submit for our winter print issue is September 3. Please mosey on over to our Submittable page to send in your work.
We are interested in art and criticism about urbanism, globalism, identity, and transnationalism, though by no means should submissions be limited to those topics. We'll publish a good story about cats in Africa if it floors us. Selected works will be published online and/or in print and be automatically entered into our annual end-of-year contest where cash prizes will be awarded.
- Fiction - less than 5,000 words
- Poetry - 2 poems submission limit per person
- Non-Fiction & Essay - less than 5,000 words
- Flash Fiction or Non-Fiction - less than 500 words
- Visual Art - photography, video, photo essay, collage, painting, sketch, etc.
- Translation - translation into English of any poetry, essay or short fiction from Asia, or vice versa, along with the original text
- Book Review - pitch book review ideas to us, on fiction or non-fiction from or about Asia
To submit online, please visit our online submissions manager.
We will only publish previously unpublished pieces. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable. Please just let us know promptly if your submission has been accepted elsewhere. All published authors of the print edition will be mailed a hard copy of their magazine at no cost.
Translators, please provide documentation of authorization to translate and publish from the writer whom you are translating.
*Special Edition: Concrete The Shanghai Literary Review is looking for personal essays and narrative nonfiction of 2,000-8,000 words that capture different facets of various Chinese cities (people, buildings, histories, stories). We are also seeking photography that reflects life in China’s cities. The special TSLR edition, to be published early 2018 between regular issues 2 & 3, will feature essays on various cities with accompanying photography. Submissions are due August 31, 2017 at our Submittable page.
*Winter 2017 Cover Art Contest: TSLR will be running a contest for artists to submit work for the cover of our print issue. Simply upload via Submittable in the Visual category and check the option in the form to be considered for the contest. Details forthcoming.